This is my first post and I’m posting the most ambitious project I’ve ever undertaken so it might be all downhill from here…
Here is my sampler corset top which I’m making as a result of an online class I took on Craftsy, Hand embellishing knit fabric
I have no idea why I signed up for the class, hand embroidery has never been my thing and I wouldn’t ever have thought I’d have the time or inclination to do any hand embellishment on my clothes. It was under the “would be nice to have but I’ll never have time for that” classification. One day I was just bored, or more likely procrastinating, and I decided to have a look at the Alabama Chanin website and that was it! From that moment on it was all over for me, it was love at first sight. I can imagine myself wearing handmade cotton jersey clothing all the time and since my daughter gave me all of Natalie Chanin’s books for my birthday it’s even worse, I want handmade cotton jersey homewares as well.
After quite a long time I’m nearly finished… the embroidery part that is. It hasn’t taken as long as I expected it would but it’s been quite an involved process, starting with sourcing good quality t-shirts for the fabric, hand cutting the stencil, mixing a special paint colour, stencilling the design onto the fabric, buying threads, beads, needles etc, and then there was the hand embellishing part which has taken the longest. The whole project so far has been surprisingly good fun. I’ve spent between a day and a week completing the embroidery on each of the panels depending on how much time I’ve had to devote to it.
I chose the corset pattern because it was the smallest project I could find to try out the techniques. I didn’t want to start on something too big and not finish it. The size of my project was also limited because I was using recycled t-shirts, one pale blue and one beige Mossimo shirt with a stationwagon print on the front which I’ve incorporated into the design. I didn’t have quite enough of the top fabric so I used some lightweight dark blue cotton jersey I had in my stash for the side front panels
I used a selection of stitches and techniques from the course and the books because I couldn’t decide on just one and wanted to try everything.
I’m almost ready to start sewing it together so I am really hoping it fits me, otherwise I’m going to have to starve myself, and I’m not good at that